Anchorage Regulation Amendments – MM 12-85 AHP
The U.S. Coast Guard has amended anchorage regulations for the Lower Mississippi River (LMR) between mile marker (MM) 12 Above Head of Passes (AHP) to MM 85 AHP. On May 16, 2022, final rule 87 FR 29668 was published modifying nine existing and establishing one new anchorage ground(s). This regulatory change updates 33 CFR Part 110.195, increasing overall anchorage grounds necessary to accommodate vessel traffic and promote safety.
Effective June 15, 2022:
• Boothville Anchorage length increases from 5.5 miles to 6.45 miles and adds revetment note.
• Magnolia Anchorage length increases from 2.1 miles to 2.2 miles and adds revetment note.
• Davant Anchorage length increases from 1.1 miles to 1.4 miles.
• Wills Point Anchorage width decreases from 600 feet to 500 feet.
• Adds revetment note to the text of the Cedar Grove Anchorage regulation.
• Belle Chasse Anchorage length increases from 2.1 miles to 2.15 miles, decrease the width from 575 feet to 500
feet and adds a revetment note.
• Adds revetment note to the text the Lower 12 Mile Point Anchorage.
• Lower 9 Mile Point Anchorage length increases from 2.3 miles to 2.4 miles adds revetment note.
• Point Michel Anchorage length increases from 1.4 miles to 2.2 miles and adds revetment note.
• Creates Phoenix Anchorage, along the left descending bank of the river extending from mile 57.82 to mile 58.42
Above Head of Passes. The width of the anchorage is 400 feet.
On June 15, 2022, the local Notice to Mariners – LA – MISSISSIPPI RIVER, MILE 12.05, AHOP – MILE 82.7, AHOP, Anchorages – which established temporary VTS measures to utilize the above anchorage grounds pending rule-making approval, will be removed. Chart 11364 LNM: 04-22 Published: 1/26/22
For further information, contact the following:
Vessel Traffic Center (24 Hour): (504) 365-2514 or VHF-FM channels 5A, 12 or 67
Sector New Orleans Waterways Management: (504) 365-2280, SecNOLA-WPM@uscg.mil
Sector New Orleans Command Center (24 hour): (504) 365-2545
CAPTAIN K. K. DENNING
Captain of the Port New Orleans
For a current list of MSIBs in the COTP New Orleans Zone, visit https://homeport.uscg.mil/my-homeport/safety-Notifications/MSIB?cotpid=39