The USCG Sector New Orleans has provided the following update regarding the pipeline related oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM).
- Confirmed 1.1 million gallon oil discharge from a pipeline occurred yesterday, approximately 15 miles East, Southeast of SWP.
- The pipeline has been shut-in.
- The oil is currently approximately 15 miles south of SWP and moving south/southwest away from the Gulf Coast.
- There are heavy seas helping to breakup the surface oil.
- Skimming operations are ongoing at this time to collect remaining surface oil.
- There is no impact to shipping or ship traffic at this time.
- Should ships come in contact with oil, then decontamination (hull cleaning) procedures will be developed.
- A Marine Safety Information Bulletin (MSIB) is being drafted and will be released soon.
Further updates will be provided upon receipt.